Re: Oracle Grid

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2005 22:23:35 -0700

Mark A wrote:
> I just saw a TV advertisement for Oracle Grid on a cable news channel. It is
> be marketed as continuous availability solution. How does this differ from
> RAC?
GRID and RAC are two totally different things with little or no relationship to each other.

One can have GRID without RAC
RAC without GRID
Or both GRID and RAC

RAC relates to the clustering of servers such that a single database connects to multiple instances. GRID has to do with repurposing and instrumentation of Oracle instances and servers.

That Oracle has once again botched communicating this to its customers is no surprise. They have been doing this for more than a year. But I am glad that the concept of advertising has finally dawned upon them.

I would suggest that you visit http://otn.oracle.com and find the white papers on these two different yet compatible technologies.

HTH

--
Daniel A. Morgan