Re: Two instances?

From: Matthias Kleinicke <Matthias.Kleinicke_at_gmx.de>
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2005 21:05:25 +0200

Hi,

fitzjarrell_at_cox.net schrieb:

> I again bring up the issue of one software owner to two separace
> instances. You will have one common O/S user who can access BOTH
> instances. Is this truly secure? Not in my opinion, and not unless
> you have but ONE DBA to manage the entire configuration.

imho it is indeed better to have just one O/S user able to access both instances, than to have all DBAs of both sides sharing the same db.

The O/S user may not been given to either of both parties. Same problem as with root access to system.

> CPU headroom aside, this is not the most secure of configurations,
> having two instances. Unrelated schemas can be housed in a single
> instance, and proper user permissions granted to prevent one from
> accessing the data of the other.
>
> My vote is for two schemas, NOT to instances.

With two instances set up correctly you would separate 1. schemas and
2. dba-privilegues.

If possible I would also vote for two schemas, but only for performance. But with seperate DBAs there is no wy then to use separate instances.

greetings

Matthias Received on Mon Jun 13 2005 - 14:05:25 CDT