Re: Oracle and Raid setup

From: Frank van Bortel <frank.van.bortel_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2005 20:11:02 +0200

Frank van Bortel wrote:
> Had not seen this whilst replying to the other.
>
> Of course I was talking about hardware RAID.
>
> And as right as you probably are, I have never seen
> hardware mirroring being substantially slower than
> single disks for writing. Note substantially is not
> the same as measurable; it can be measured, sure.

Any comparism between Single disk and SATA RAID controllers (I know - not SCSI, but SCSI will and should outperform SATA) shows:

  1. Access times on RAID1 are better than single disk (http://tweakers.net/reviews/536/17)
  2. Most h/w RAID controllers show better write throughput on RAID1 than on single disks; those that show decreased performance do *not* show 33% decrease, but far less (15%) (http://tweakers.net/reviews/536/19)
  3. In an average database environment, mixed IO, RAID1 outperforms single disks (http://tweakers.net/reviews/536/25)
  4. You want RAID5 with more than 3 disks - OT -- Regards, Frank van Bortel