Re: Two instances?

From: David E. Grove <david_grove_at_correct.state.ak.us>
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2005 09:43:21 -0800

Thank you for all your thoughtful and helpful replies.

In my limited (but growing) knowledge of Oracle, I tended to think that, most of the time, multiple instances would be less desirable than multiple schemas. But, in the proposed situation I describe, I was thinking along the lines that Mr. Harris expressed...

>IMO, the most significant statement you've made is "There will be separate
>administration with possibly separate DBAs". Potential for differing
>performance management, differing backup/recovery management, possibly
>differing patch/upgrade needs. I'd use separate instances.

Just perhaps, in this case, to accomodate maximum independence, maybe even distinct installs??

From the several responses, I appreciate that there may be other, extra-technological factors that apply. These need to be considered. The two parties that I reference are government agencies so we'll probably consult our extensive legal resources for further, non-technical advice on the host of issues this and other threads suggest.

However, just for the sake of a technical discussion, may I refocus the question, please. Is there significant overhead involved in creating a second instance (vs. just adding schemas)? Temporarily setting aside non-technical issues, how would you evaluate (vmstat, for example?) the ability of existing CPU resources to absorb a second instance?