Re: Any caveats about droping/recreating temp tablespce?

From: Mark D Powell <Mark.Powell_at_eds.com>
Date: 13 Jun 2005 08:11:08 -0700

I vote with Sybrand. For an old 7.3.4 database you would also want you temporary tablespace to have been created using: create tablespace temp temporary.

I believe the temporary mode was new with 7.3 and it reduced contention on the single database wide ST lock used to control space allocation by allocating a single temp segment on first use and then expanding it as necessary. Multiple user session obtained their temp space from within the single defined temp segment covered by temporary table locks rather then the ST lock.

If you do not use the keyword temporary then you get the default permanet value and space allocation within the temporary tablespace worked like it did with prior versions.

HTH -- Mark D Powell -- Received on Mon Jun 13 2005 - 10:11:08 CDT