Re: Two instances?

From: Jeremy <jeremypaulschneider_at_gmail.com>
Date: 13 Jun 2005 08:03:13 -0700

> Your issues are not the one's you mention. Your issues are legal and
> based on issues such as laws such as SarbOx and HIPAA (if in US) and
> liability if someone from one group inadvertently damages something
> belonging to the other group. This all sounds like a really bad idea.
> But not because of anything related to technology.

wow... agreed. if it were me and i absolutely had no other choice, i would at least try (if possible) to give neither party root access but give each their own seperate user accounts on the box (with neither having access to any of the other's files)...

then they'd have to each have their own ORACLE_HOME, their own instance, database, datafiles, etc. with more than 500G of disk you probably have enough for two ORACLE_HOME's and 16G of memory is probably plenty for two instances... (i guess it depends on what they'll be using the database for!) a V480 can hold up to 4 CPUs -- if CPU is a problem can you consider adding CPU (or is it too cost-prohibitive)? Seems to me like two Oracle instances don't usually have any problem sharing CPU fairly either.

so it's technologically *possible*. but it still doesn't sound like a great idea. even if you do everything possible to prevent them, mistakes still happen... Received on Mon Jun 13 2005 - 10:03:13 CDT