Any caveats about droping/recreating temp tablespce?

From: Stan Brown <stanb_at_panix.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2005 14:14:32 +0000 (UTC)

I've got a 7.3.4.5.0 instance on HP-UX 10.20 that's been workign great fro years.

Now, some maintenance scripts are failing. Doing a little debuging reveals:

  1. The tsaks are failing to allocate space in teh TEMP tablespace.
  2. This tablespcae is very fragmented.

I shut down all of the applications accessing thsi dtabase, stoped it and restarted it. Then I did an "alter tablespace temp coalesce", but it's still pretty fragmented.

I'm considering droping and recreating the TEMP tablespace (it's just one 250M file).

I'm concerned about whether I will be able to do this though, since it seems liely that some system level functions may be using this tablespace.

Any caveats, or sugestions about my plan?

neither liberty nor safety."
						-- Benjamin Franklin