Re: Can I use ODL and OQL in Oracle ?

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2005 13:20:43 GMT

On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 02:54:09 -0700, xtanto wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Recently I read a database book, one chapter is about ODL (Object
> Definition Language) and OQL (Object Query Language). I still dont
> really get it :

Not really getting it is the most important prerequisite for developing an application. That is the definition of "duhveloper".

> 1) Can I use ODL / OQL on Oracle ?

You can try, but you gotta ask your self one question: "do I feel lucky".

> Or it can only be implemented on 'pure ODBMS' only ? (while Oracle
> is not ODBMS, is it?)

Oracle has a pretty decent object layer which supports inheritance.

> 2) If the answer is Yes, does it mean I can access Oracle, e.g : from
> Java, without any O/R Mapping or JDBC layer ?

No. You still need method to connect to database. That is JDBC.

> Thank you for any help,
> Krist

No problems. Bigus (a friend of Pilatus).

--
I either want less corruption, or more chance to participate in it.