Re: ORA-04030: out of process memory when trying to allocate - What to do?

From: Billy <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: 13 Jun 2005 02:59:42 -0700

ob wrote:
> I get the following errors when I call a stored procedure as SYS
<snipped>

Likely this is caused by attempting to fetch all the data from a cursor into a dynamic array. Bulk processing is an excellent idea - but only if you do it in scalable way and not try and grab all million rows from the cursor in a single shot and stuff it into an array.

The best place for data to live in, is inside tables and manipulated via SQL. Including large temporary data sets. PL/SQL "tables", Java collections and so on.. very useful but only if applied properly. On small sets of data.

--
Billy