Two instances?

From: David & Sarah Grove <dg_at_ieee.org>
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2005 00:30:41 -0800

Folks,

Consider a single machine (Sun V480/Solaris 10) running Oracle 10g. Two parties are interested in cooperating (one brings the machine, the other brings the Oracle license). Disk space (>500 GB) is more than enough for both. Memory (16 GB) is more than enough for both. There are no common users. There are no common applications. There are no common schemas. There will be separate administration with possibly separate DBAs. Each party will have several schemas (total of 10 - 20 schemas). Three of one party's schemas each have in excess of 1000 tables and 1000 stored procedures.

We are considering whether to just put both parties schemas together in a single instance, or, perhaps, make two instances.

Might I be able to determine from vmstat whether there is sufficient "headroom" in cpu usage for a second instance? In other words, if I get one of the parties set up, can I use vmstat to determine whether, assuming everything else is adequate, there is enough horsepower to bring the second party in as a second instance?

Thanks for any thoughts.

DG Received on Mon Jun 13 2005 - 03:30:41 CDT