Problem with Insert statement

From: barraboombarrabin <barraboombarrabing_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 11 Jun 2005 08:11:20 -0700

I have an insert statement in this format.

INSERT /*+ APPEND */ INTO <insert_into_table>

                         (column1,

column2,
column3 .......
)
SELECT /*+ PARALLEL (msit 5)*/ /*+ PARALLEL (sosi 5)*/ column1, column2, column3 ........
FROM     <select_table1> msit,
	 <select_table2> sosi

WHERE <joins>
GROUP BY column1, column2

This insert statement generally completes in a few minutes daily. However on certain days it takes hours and just does not complete. I need some guidance on what to look for - I am trying to figure out the difference between the time when the insert functions well and when it functions poorly. If I compare dbms_stats reports what is it that I need to look for to pin point the problem.

THanks Received on Sat Jun 11 2005 - 10:11:20 CDT