Re: Linux File system and Oracle setup

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2005 23:38:48 -0700

Frank van Bortel wrote:
> andkovacs_at_yahoo.com wrote:
>

>>Very wise advise Daniel. You must be a good teacher.
>>Our focus is I/O and we would like to get a better performance out of
>>our Linux box.
>>

> Raw on Linux; RAID5 is nonsense, SAME if you can afford it.
> Enable async IO (requires 2.6 kernel, or patched 2.4).
> Rebuild kernel to bare minimum (only include what you ever use),
> boot, or switch to mode 3 (init 3).

Reluctant to jump in and modify your advice but you can no long say "RAID5 is nonsense" without qualifying that to "with some storage solutions."

As I've noted there is at least one out here, which shall remain nameless unless I am specifically asked, on which RAID5 performs as well as 0+1.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
http://www.psoug.org