Re: OracleConnection rollback failed! What to do?

From: <joeNOSPAM_at_BEA.com>
Date: 10 Jun 2005 10:24:48 -0700

Hi. The NullPointerException seems to be an ugly simple bug in the Oracle thin driver you're using, but it might have been triggered by a lower-level connectivity problem that also caused your rollback to fail.

   I would update your thin driver to the latest 10G one, and in the case of a failed rollback, it hinges on whether this is a simple local tx or an XA tx. Xa has a recovery protocol that tries to determine the status of the tx after a reconnect is made. A non-XA tx leaves it up to you to reconnect (I'm guessing the connection is dead), and see if what you tried to do and then rollback succeeded or not. Most DBMSes will roll back any abandoned transactional content on a connection that goes away without explicitly committing, but Oracle is different, and *will* commit sometimes. Joe Weinstein at BEA Received on Fri Jun 10 2005 - 12:24:48 CDT