Retrieve Oracle Version

From: Tom <ter310_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 10 Jun 2005 05:18:19 -0700

Hello.

I am a Unix administrator, learning Oracle. I'd like to have a Perl script run and collect the Oracle version from numerous servers, all running HP-UX.

I know that I can log in via sqlplus as the system user and run "SELECT * FROM V$VERSION" however, I was wondering if there was a way to get the Oracle version without accessing the system views. Ideally, I'd like to do this without connecting to the DB at all.

I appreciate any help.
Tom Received on Fri Jun 10 2005 - 07:18:19 CDT