Re: QUESTION: Converting Oracle shell scripting from AIX to Windows

From: David Portas <REMOVE_BEFORE_REPLYING_dportas_at_acm.org>
Date: 10 Jun 2005 02:23:21 -0700

DW wrote:
> Hi, all...
>
> I have a sizeable database running under Oracle 9.2.0.4 under AIX
> 5.2.0.
>
> I am faced with an impending move to a Windows environment, running
> under SQL 2000.
>
> Currently, we are heavy users of shell scripts, for exports, backups,
> etc.
>
> I am looking for viable scripting options under W2K/W2K3. Maybe sh/ksh
> emulators, VB, Perl...?
>
> Scheduling of script operations is also required.
>
> Anyone been through this kind of move, who could offer some wisdom?
>

> Thanks!
>

> DW

In SQL Server 2000 you can use Transact SQL scripts to perform the operations you've mentioned (exporting and backing up data). You can invoke Transact SQL from any of various scripting hosts using the OSQL command line utility, using ODBC/OLEDB or other data access methods. Windows scripting, VB script or DOS batch files are common choices for straightforward tasks. For more complex logic you could consider .NET.

SQL Server comes with its own scheduler (SQL Agent) but you can also use Windows or other third-party schedulers too.

SQL Server newsgroups in the microsoft hierarchy:

microsoft.public.sqlserver.server
microsoft.public.sqlserver.programming
etc

Hope this helps.