Re: QUESTION: Converting Oracle shell scripting from AIX to Windows

From: <fitzjarrell_at_cox.net>
Date: 9 Jun 2005 19:10:16 -0700

DW wrote:
> Hi, all...
>
> I have a sizeable database running under Oracle 9.2.0.4 under AIX
> 5.2.0.
>
> I am faced with an impending move to a Windows environment, running
> under SQL 2000.
>
> Currently, we are heavy users of shell scripts, for exports, backups,
> etc.
>
> I am looking for viable scripting options under W2K/W2K3. Maybe sh/ksh
> emulators, VB, Perl...?
>
> Scheduling of script operations is also required.
>
> Anyone been through this kind of move, who could offer some wisdom?
>

> Thanks!
>

> DW

If I read this correctly you're not only changing operating systems (AIX to Windows 2000/2003 server) but DBMS engines as well (Oracle to SQL Server 2000). What good will your Oracle-centric scripts be to SQL Server? You'll need to get accustomed to SQL Server's Enterprise Manager to schedule and execute tasks for which, using Oracle, you could write shell scripts. And get used to backing up and truncating transaction logs, using log shipping to synchronise backup/standby servers, and you'll need to re-define the term 'database' as it isn't the same as the definition to which you're currently acquainted.

Certainly you can download UNIX tools compiled to run under Windows, including shells, and you may feel more comfortable doing so. However, it's the Windows operating system upon which SQL Server depends; it may behoove you to learn to write batch files in addition to transferring your UNIX skills to Windows.

SQL Server 2000 is a far different beast than Oracle. I would seriously reconsider your request for UNIX utilities for Windows, and learn the operating system on which your new DBMS runs.

David Fitzjarrell Received on Thu Jun 09 2005 - 21:10:16 CDT