Re: Suddenly recompile package become so slow

From: hpuxrac <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: 9 Jun 2005 14:21:12 -0700

dominica_at_gmail.com wrote:
> Hi Jeremy,
>
> No, I don't think so.
> This is really strange.
>
> Today, I found out SYSTEM tablespace is only has 4 Meg left.
>
> And I add another 200M to it , just for test.
> Since this is a development host, not production.
>
> You know how I come to realize about system tbsp.
> I saw there is a lot of wait event to wait for
> SYSTEM tablespace in a
> "db file sequential read" status.
>
> But this might NOT be the only problem in that machine.
> That is also a SQL*NET client wait for a long time.
>
> Just trying to debug.
> Since now, every single developers is complaint about the
> "long compilation of all the packages".
>
> I will keep update on this issue here.
> P.S. The interesting thing happen in this particular company
> is very interesting. I work in a lot of places before and
> never seen all these STRANGE problems. Good place to learn
> though.
>

> Thanks,
>

> Dominica

Well one brute force way of ruling out if it is people using the packages while they are attempted to be recompiled is this ...

Shutdown the database and bring it backup in restrict mode ( only dba access ).

Run the recompile's yourself schema by schema ... is it still slow that way?

You don't say but I recommend not re-compiling everything invalid in the whole database instead go schema by schema.

Do the packages and procedures in different schema's reference each other? That's another possible sticky area. Received on Thu Jun 09 2005 - 16:21:12 CDT