Re: Oracle and Raid setup

From: Frank van Bortel <frank.van.bortel_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 09 Jun 2005 19:37:08 +0200

Noons wrote:
> Cris Carampa apparently said,on my timestamp of 9/06/2005 4:41 PM:
>

>> But Raid 1 gives you only fault tolerance, no performance gains
>> because there is no striping. Or am I wrong?

> Absolutely right. In fact, it is slower for writes...

Why would a mirrored write be slower for writes? OK, as slow as the slowest disk, but those differences can (should!) only be marginal. I was under the impression, mirrors do not have a penalty in writing, and a possible advantage in reading, at double the cost of a single disk.

Please elaborate.

--
Regards,
Frank van Bortel