Re: Simple SQLPlus question - has me stumped (repost - other post was dated 2000).

From: <fitzjarrell_at_cox.net>
Date: 8 Jun 2005 11:37:15 -0700

DA Morgan wrote:
> Paul wrote:
> >

> > Hi all,
> >

> > Am trying to learn Oracle at home (between jobs!).
> >

> > Log on as scott/tiger.
> >

> > set linesize 10000
> > set pause on
> > set serveroutput on
> >
> > select * from dictionary
> >

> >>TABLE_NAME COMMENTS
> >>---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> >>ALL_ALL_TABLES Description of all object and relational tables accessible to the use
> >

> > But I can't scroll over to the right any further than this, despite
> > having a linesize of 10000. Can anybody tell me what I'm missing,
> > thanks?
> >

> > Paul...
>
> Basic misunderstanding. You will never be able to scroll to the right
> in SQL*Plus.
>
> set linesize will get you the width of your monitor ... roughly 200
> characters. A larger linesize relates to spooling output. So try this:
>
> set linesize 1000
> set trimspool on
> spool c:\temp\testspool.txt
> select * from dictionary
> spool off
>
> now look at the generated file.
>
> Examples can be found at:
> http://www.psoug.org
> click on Morgan's Library
> click on SQL*Plus ... try the examples
> --
> Daniel A. Morgan
> http://www.psoug.org
> damorgan_at_x.washington.edu
> (replace x with u to respond)

This is not entirely true as the Oracle installer used to reference 7-era dlls in the registry during software installations, regardless of the release of Oracle. In HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\MTxOCI there are three Oracle-related entries which may point to Oracle 7.x era dynamic linked libraries. As of Oracle 8 onwards two of the files are named ORASQLn.dll and ORACLIENTn.dll, where n is the base release (8 for 8 and 8i, 9 for 9i and 9iR2). The third file has been renamed to oci.dll. The keys, values and values to which they should be set are listed below.

>From the original installation the values are:

OracleXaLib = xa73.dll
OracleSqlLib = SQLLib18.dll
OracleOciLib = ociw32.dll

For Oracle 8 and 8i:

OracleXaLib = ORACLIENT8.dll
OracleSqlLib = ORASQL8.dll
OracleOciLib = oci.dll

For Oracle 9i and 9iR2:

OracleXaLib = ORACLIENT9.dll
OracleSqlLib = ORASQL9.dll
OracleOciLib = oci.dll

As Daniel pointed out if you are using sqlplus.exe nothing will change the scrolling width. If, however, you choose to use sqlplusw.exe the setting changes above will allow you to scroll the entire width of your linesize, within the limitations imposed by Windows; setting your linesise to 1000 using the GUI SQL*Plus interface will let you scroll to the right a full 1000 characters.

I hope this helps.

David Fitzjarrell Received on Wed Jun 08 2005 - 13:37:15 CDT