Re: Simple SQLPlus question - has me stumped (repost - other post was dated 2000).

From: Maxim Demenko <mdemenko_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 08 Jun 2005 20:36:54 +0200

DA Morgan schrieb:
> Paul wrote:
>

>> Hi all,
>>

>> Am trying to learn Oracle at home (between jobs!).
>>
>> Log on as scott/tiger.
>>

>> set linesize 10000
>> set pause on
>> set serveroutput on
>>
>> select * from dictionary
>>

>>> TABLE_NAME                     COMMENTS
>>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>>
>>> ALL_ALL_TABLES                 Description of all object and
>>> relational tables accessible to the use
>>

>> But I can't scroll over to the right  any further than this, despite
>> having a linesize of 10000. Can anybody tell me what I'm missing,
>> thanks?
>>

>> Paul...

> Basic misunderstanding. You will never be able to scroll to the right
> in SQL*Plus.
>
> set linesize will get you the width of your monitor ... roughly 200
> characters. A larger linesize relates to spooling output. So try this:
>
> set linesize 1000
> set trimspool on
> spool c:\temp\testspool.txt
> select * from dictionary
> spool off
>
> now look at the generated file.
>
> Examples can be found at:
> http://www.psoug.org
> click on Morgan's Library
> click on SQL*Plus ... try the examples

Well , on Windows XP ( i assume OP use the XP Pro SP2 ) if you use commandline version of sqlplus, you can set the buffer size for DOS window - right click, properties ( i am not aware of upper limit, but 1000 works definitely ). In that case you can scroll to the right corner.

Best regards

Maxim Received on Wed Jun 08 2005 - 13:36:54 CDT