Re: Simple SQLPlus question - has me stumped (repost - other post was dated 2000).

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Wed, 08 Jun 2005 09:51:07 -0700

Paul wrote:

> Hi all,
>

> Am trying to learn Oracle at home (between jobs!).
>

> Log on as scott/tiger.
>

> set linesize 10000
> set pause on
> set serveroutput on
>
> select * from dictionary
>

>>TABLE_NAME                     COMMENTS
>>---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>ALL_ALL_TABLES                 Description of all object and relational tables accessible to the use

> But I can't scroll over to the right any further than this, despite
> having a linesize of 10000. Can anybody tell me what I'm missing,
> thanks?
>

> Paul...

Basic misunderstanding. You will never be able to scroll to the right in SQL*Plus.

set linesize will get you the width of your monitor ... roughly 200 characters. A larger linesize relates to spooling output. So try this:

set linesize 1000
set trimspool on
spool c:\temp\testspool.txt
select * from dictionary