Linux File system and Oracle setup

From: <andkovacs_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 8 Jun 2005 09:44:49 -0700

Hi,

We have a unique opportunity to compare Linux with Windows running an Oracle 9.2 server. We have setup two 100% identical servers DL380 G4: one with windows 2000 adv server and the other with RedHat 3.4. Both are running the same applications in parallele. Oracle folks told us that this experience has no sense and we should not compare these two operating systems.

Is this a no sense test case ?

We have a little problem with Linux. Our i/o throughput is lower than on windows by 20%. Raid setup is the same on both servers, all disks are in Raid 0+1. We think that the issue is related to file system setup. At present we are running ext3fs with mode=journaling.

What is the best file linux system for Oracle ?

At oracle a "boy" advised us to setup our disks in Raid 5 ?! Is there something special about Raid and Linux ? Or this boy is just like the other average folks at Oracle, really stupid. Received on Wed Jun 08 2005 - 11:44:49 CDT