Re: how to recover a datafile deleted and need to recover without backup file...using file# from v$datafile?

From: Holger Baer <holger.baer_at_science-computing.de>
Date: Wed, 08 Jun 2005 17:51:54 +0200

fitzjarrell_at_cox.net wrote:

> Holger Baer wrote:

[snip]

>>He's probably screwed as it is. Why screw him some more?
>>
>>Cheers
>>Holger

> I am not trying to screw anyone, Holger, and I'm sorry you think that I
> am. In RARE cases I have been able to get a database back up by

That was meant with tongue-in-cheek. I really should have used an appropriate emoticon... Sorry.

> recreating the controlfile after first eliminating the missing file
> from the list. You apparently failed to note my statment that
> recreating the controlfile would likely NOT be a successful endeavour.
> If that was confusing to you, I can only imagine it more confusing to
> the OP.

I'll have to go back to testing because I don't see why he can't just drop the tablespace altogether, but that's probably because I'm missing something.

> I also offered the suggestion to recreate his database as probably his
> only successful option. As he does NOT possess a backup it is quite
> likely the archivelogs do not exist, either. Also, since his missing

That we don't know.

> file is 2 gig in size it would be a logical assumption it's a
> single-file tablespace. And, if he cannot get the database to mount he
> can't drop the tablespace. His database appears to be pretty useless
> to me.

I don't see where he states that he can't mount the database. If that is the case, recreating the controlfiles make sense.

> I apologise if my statements were taken in a 'you're screwed so let me
> see if I can screw you further' context. Nothing could be further from
> the truth.

Let me put it like this: without the assumptions you provided now, it seemed a lot of effort (recreating controlfiles *is* a lot of effort for someone that has to ask what a given ddl statement will achieve IMO) which probably will go wrong anyway or achieve nothing and end in recreating the database anyway. Importing a hopefully existing export will then really be the last resort, which I'll readily second.

I think my objection wasn't really against what you wrote but against a tendency to swift statements without providing enough background in this NG in general.

Tom Kyte has a really good article about how to ask questions. Perhaps we should ask him to add one how to answer them? :-) And that's not directed at you either, but to people in this group in general.

Cheers
Holger Received on Wed Jun 08 2005 - 10:51:54 CDT