Re: how to recover a datafile deleted and need to recover without backup file...using file# from v$datafile?

From: <fitzjarrell_at_cox.net>
Date: 8 Jun 2005 04:52:07 -0700

emerryan_at_yahoo.co.uk wrote:
> Thanks, using version 9.1.2.0.2
>

> i have recoved this file from a free softward call file recovery and
> now restored to its original destination:
>
> I then used the following command to alter:
>
> alter database recover automatic datafile
> 'c:\ORACLE\ORADATA\RHEA\CC_CAPTURE.ORA'
>

> alter database recover automatic datafile 'c:\ORACLE\ORADATA\RHEA\CC_C
>
> *
>
> ERROR at line 1:
>
> ORA-00283: recovery session canceled due to errors
>
> ORA-01110: data file 13: 'C:\ORACLE\ORADATA\RHEA\CC_CAPTURE.ORA'
>
> ORA-01122: database file 13 failed verification check
>
> ORA-01110: data file 13: 'C:\ORACLE\ORADATA\RHEA\CC_CAPTURE.ORA'
>
> ORA-01251: Unknown File Header Version read for file number 13
>
> but yeh, i did miss the 'ora' and reliased that afterwards.
>
> Can I still recreate the file#13? that is the datafile number as
> above?? I can't do nothing, am i really screwed??

Yes, you are 'screwed', to put it bluntly, as the error messages attest. Without a valid backup and the requisite archivelogs (or the complete set of archivelogs since the original creation of your deleted file) your missing datafile will remain missing, period.

Your next option is to shutdown your instance and perform a COLD backup of what you have. DO NOT OMIT THIS STEP. Next, search the newsgroup for steps on recreating your controlfiles as this MAY help you get your instance up and running by rebilding them minus this missing datafile(although I can't guarantee such success). You could also contact Oracle support, but I expect they'd be asking you to restore the file from a current backup, which, of course, is impossible as you don't have one.

Basically you now have a useless collection of datafiles, controlfiles and redologs consuming space on your Windows server. I believe your only SUCCESSFUL path of 'recovery' will be to recreate the database (you DO have the scripts for that, I hope) and apply the most recent export (which you also have, I hope) and restore to that point. You will have lost data in the process, but a few days data loss may be much better than losing an entire database to negligence.

David Fitzjarrell Received on Wed Jun 08 2005 - 06:52:07 CDT