Re: how to recover a datafile deleted and need to recover without backup file...using file# from v$datafile?

From: Holger Baer <holger.baer_at_science-computing.de>
Date: Wed, 08 Jun 2005 12:05:30 +0200

emerryan_at_yahoo.co.uk wrote:
> I need to recover a datafile found on c:\oracle...drive that pends on
> startup. the file was deleted accidently and needs to be recovered
> using the syntax below; I was told to find out the original file number
> by using the select file# from v$datafile ? how can I tell which is
> the correct file as I have file# 1-51?
> the file was called cc_capture.ora it was over 2gb and when deleted
> didn't go into the recycling bin due to size!
>
> synta x
>
> shutdown immediate
> startup mount
>
> checking for the file#
> select file# from v$datafile

How about including the name and status of the file, so you know which file# represents which file? The file in question should have status 'offline'.

> ALTER DATABASE
> CREATE DATAFILE 'c:\oracle\oradata\rhea\cc_capture SIZE 2048m AS
> datafile_file51_spec;
>
> would this be the correct syntax???

No. First of all you're missing .ora' at the end of the filename. Second, either you have a backup or you are pretty much screwed. (Actually there is a chance to recover if you have *all* archived logs from the creation of the datafile. For details check the Backup and Recovery Documentation and the RMAN User Guide. It's somewhere in the examples. Documentation can be found at

        http://tahiti.oracle.com.
Make sure you choose the version matching the one you're using but didn't considered important enough to tell us).

> please help!
>
> rem I do not have the file to recover from tape...

Bad, bad, bad. And sad, too.

Sorry,
Holger Received on Wed Jun 08 2005 - 05:05:30 CDT