Re: Oracle migration on Solaris 10 takes forever

From: Dusan Bolek <spambin_at_seznam.cz>
Date: 8 Jun 2005 02:00:08 -0700

A A A wrote:
> I got a database on Solaris 10 that is still 8.1.5. I need to upgrade
> to 10g. Since there is no direct way from 8.1.5 to 10g, I had to
> upgrade from 8.1.5 to 9.0.2 and then migrate to 10g from 9.0.2.
>
> I downloaded 9.0.2 from Oracle and runs the installer with auto
> migration. The database is under 40GB, and it has been 4 days and
> it is still migrating. Worse yet, the progress screen got blanked --
> meaning I can't see how much of the progress it has got so far.
> However, the progress:

I do not understand why are you bothering with doing this migration. If there are no time constraints (and from you four day waiting period I presume there are not) I would simply export whole database, install 10g software, create a new empty database of an appropriate size and then import this export. It would be quicker, this path is always working and the new database is cleaner than migrated one.

--
Dusan Bolek