Re: 100% CPU on Startup and Shutdown

From: opus <opus_at_stopspamvalleyg.net>
Date: Tue, 07 Jun 2005 21:32:54 GMT

DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org> wrote:
>opus wrote:
>> Hello...
>>
>> Oracle 8.1.7 on Win2k-Serv SP2 P3-1.2 1GB RAM. Lots of freespace on all
>> partitions.
>>
>> This database has been working flawlessly for several years. Recently I had
>> turn off the computer to swap the UPS. Upon restarted the server the Oracle
>> instance now goes to 100% CPU usage on instance startups and shutdowns,
>> dramatically slowing down the process. Instance startup takes upwards of 10
>> minutes. This happens whether using DBA Studio or oradim. I suspect there
>>may
>> be slowing down during redo log switches, too.
>>
>> No other changes to the database that I'm aware of. The server has been
>> rebooted several times in the past without incident.
>>
>> I'm not very experienced as a DBA, so please forgive me if I ask a silly
>> question or two.
>>
>> Windows event logs and oracle logs are clean, though I admit I may not be
>> looking everywhere or reading them correctly. I'm guessing the first thing
>> might be get new memory.
>>
>> It's a mission critical business database, so I'm very concerned. Any
>> suggestions?
>>
>> Thx,
>> D.
>
>Likely a Windows problem.
>If it is Oracle then are you patched to 8.1.7.4?
>And do keep in mind your software is now in desupport mode running on
>the worst possible operating system (well other than Win95).

That doesn't sound good. Any ideas which part of Windows?

And yes, I knew 817 is unsupported. Didn't know Win2k-Serv is a lousy choice for Oracle. Either way, it's a management choice and I'm new, green, and thrown into the deep end with little-to-none authority. In other words, I don't expect management to change the setup no matter what I say.

Thanks for the help,
D. Received on Tue Jun 07 2005 - 16:32:54 CDT