Re: Why would concatenating a variable to a variable give an error in pl/sql?

From: colin_lyse <colin_lyse_at_98fgfgs.com>
Date: 7 Jun 2005 09:30:06 -0500

In article <1118127105.141547.19960_at_o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>, "Billy" <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za> wrote:
>colin_lyse wrote:
>>
>> we are doing the following (code not complet took parts out for brevity)
>Now we have developers that look at SQL and goes "Duh... this is
>friggen too complex!" And the proceed to write 50 versions of
>getPCBDetailResults using dynamic and non-shareable and bind-less
>SQL...
>
>Progress is great, huh?

Billy, what wer are tying to do is the following (i put the complete code at the bottom). We have a web page using asp.net where users select all kinds of variables (the specific info they want) and submit. this is going to be sent to the database where it will be inserted into a global temp table and joined with other data and then the result set provided to the users. (we have 3 sources of data and need to put it all together before sending back, can'tjust move data from all 3 sources into one DB cuase of the size and becuase they don't want us to duplicate data, so we have remote links in oracle to other DBs plus some data in the schema itself.).

we could have done all the building of the inset statements on the asp.net side but though we would have better control, scalablity, etc if we just passed the values to oracle and then have it constructed on the fly and processed.

Do you have a beter solution? do you recommend putting the code together on the client side and sending it to oracle? is that a better solution? Received on Tue Jun 07 2005 - 09:30:06 CDT