Re: Database market share 2004

From: Jurgen Haan <jurgen_at_fake.dom>
Date: Tue, 07 Jun 2005 10:45:20 +0200

Buck Nuggets wrote:

> Next week I get to swap out two storage arrays on a 500-gbyte db2 udb
> database server: the new arrays are larger and faster. Anyhow, one
> nice feature about db2 is that I can add the new arrays & remove the
> old ones in a relatively simple operation in which the database handles
> rebalancing all data automatically, and everything is online the entire
> time. Didn't think postgresql was up to that yet.

Postgres doesn't have to be. The storage arrays are getting smarter aswell. Take the NetApp storage array, you can expand, reassign disks to a logical volume, resize a logical volume online. And I'm not sure if it can be done online, but the head (the controller part) should be hotswappable aswell. This way you can upgrade your 1TB netapp to a 6TB netapp.

But if you're using a simpler array, a simple SAN or NAS, it's indeed very pleasant to have the ability available in your database.

-R- Received on Tue Jun 07 2005 - 03:45:20 CDT