Re: Database market share 2004

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Mon, 06 Jun 2005 23:20:33 -0700

Data Goob wrote:

>>For applications that are mostly used during office hours by the
>>limited population of staff within a department, you don't get a lot
>>of value out of the difference in licensing costs between Firebird or
>>PostgreSQL and Oracle.

What planet do you reside on?

For those of us in the US.

If those apps involve any medical information you MUST comply with HIPAA.

If those apps involve any financial information including projections, assets, liabilities, inventories, etc. you MUST comply with Sarbanes Oxley.

If you have more than 0 employees you MUST comply with the regulations published last Wednesday by the Federal Trade Commission.

Ignore any of the above you your attorney will be looking for a retainer. Oh and that will be for criminal defense ... not civil litigation if you attract the wrong kind of attention.

Do you think you can comply with those laws with Firebird? I can answer that for you.
How abot PostgreSQL?
Same answer.
You'd better be thinking Oracle, DB2, or Informix or you had better not be lecturing others about their bad habits and criticizing others that break the law.

So yes ... if you are storing your mother's cookie recipies I would think you'd be pretty safe in the open source databases to which you refer.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
http://www.psoug.org