Re: how to split strings in pl/sql or in sql/plus

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Tue, 07 Jun 2005 00:45:52 GMT

On Mon, 06 Jun 2005 17:35:16 -0700, baka wrote:

> hello
> I want to break the the follwoing string variable into two strings.
>
> eg; str="abcd\wxyz"
> into
> str1="abcd"
> str2="wxyz"
>
> i know how to do this in all 4GLs .
> is it possible to do it in SQL/PLUS or PL/SQL?
> (by the way i am re3ading a datfile from a .csv)

Oracle10g speaks regular expressions. Johnatan Gennick wrote an excellent little booklet called "Oracle Regular Expressions", published by O'Reilly which will explain everything about Oracle's regex implementation. Aside from that, PL/SQL is not the right tool for parsing CSV files. That's what Perl is for.

--
I either want less corruption, or more chance to participate in it.