Re: Oracle migration on Solaris 10 takes forever

From: A A A <qian0001_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 06 Jun 2005 19:19:32 -0400

fitzjarrell_at_cox.net wrote:

> A A A wrote:
>

>>fitzjarrell_at_cox.net wrote:

>>>For some reason I don't expect this migration to ever finish. You've
>>>waited FOUR DAYS for this to complete?? I'd have been suspicious after
>>>four hours with no reasonable end time in sight.
>>>
>>>Thoughts which come to mind:
>>>
>>>1) I can't understand why you're running 8.1.5.x (where x is yet
>>>unspecified by you) on Solaris 10. It isn't a certified installation.
>>>
>>>2) I can only presume you intended to type 9.2.0, as 9.0.2 doesn't
>>>exist and 9.0.1 is not certified on Solaris 10.
>>>
>>>As 8.1.5 on Solaris 10 is not a certified combination I can understand
>>>why you're having the problems you report. You may need to move your
>>>8.1.5 instance to a different Solaris release (7, 8, or 2.6) to get it
>>>to operate properly. Then migrate to 9.2.0 and clone the database to
>>>your Solaris 10 server. At that point you could migrate to 10g on a
>>>supported, certified O/S release. Unless this is so far gone you've
>>>lost your original 8.1.5 database. You do not mention backing up the
>>>database files prior to starting this migration, so one wonders if
>>>you've lost everything from this migration attempt.
>>>
>>>Post more information, such as the patch level of your 8.1.5 database
>>>and whether or not you've performed a cold backup of your database
>>>prior to migration. Without such information it is almost impossible
>>>to assist you further.
>>>

>>>David Fitzjarrell
>>>

>>Thanks to David and Dominica.
>>
>>It should be 9.0.1 instead of 9.0.2. Sorry.
>>The old version:
>> Oracle8i Enterprise Edition Release 8.1.5.0.0 - Production
>>
>>This is a database for research data, and has not been updated for quite
>>a while. It is currently on an old Solaris 8 box. I just copied all the
>>files and to the new Sun Blade box with Solaris 10. I created the
>>symbolic links in the new box that mimic the old machine structures.
>>For example:
>> /usr/local/oracle -> /nfsdisk1/db/oldmachine/usr/local/oracle
>>
>>So all the files are going through the symbolic links. This way, I will
>>not interupt and mess up the one on the old machine.
>>
>>I also have backup of the databases.
>>
>>I also have another Oracle 8 database on another Solaris 8 box that I
>>want to migrate to 10g on thins machine (Solaris 10). I also want to
>>avoid to directly working on the database as people use the data a lot
>>through the http.
>>

>>Y.
>

> You've lost me.  You've copied the files to the new Solaris 10 server?
> WHICH files did you copy?  And why did you establish symbolic links to
> the Solaris 8 server?  Are you actually trying to UPGRADE the software
> on the Solaris 10 machine?  Did you copy the entire installation from
> the Solaris 8 machine to the Solaris 10 box?   If you're attempting to
> migrate 8.1.5 to 9.2.0 you NEED to access the executables to get this
> accomplished.

> [...]

I did copy the installation of Oracle 8 on Solaris 8 into a directory on the new machine (Solaris 10). I then made symbolic links that on the new machine that is the same as the original locations on the old machine. I was able to login and access the database from the new machine. I then upgraded this Oracle8i to 9.0.1.

The reason for the symbolic link is because the directories are scattered around some non standard locations such as /disk1/data1/oradata, /disk2/dd/oradata, /usr/local/oracle, etc, and I was not sure if the installer will put them into a new location I specified.

I'll wait until tomorrow morning. If the migration is still not complete, I'll just arrange the directory layout to mimic the old machine w/o symbolic link.

Y.
nonstandard locations Received on Mon Jun 06 2005 - 18:19:32 CDT