Re: Oracle migration on Solaris 10 takes forever

From: <fitzjarrell_at_cox.net>
Date: 6 Jun 2005 14:21:02 -0700

A A A wrote:
> fitzjarrell_at_cox.net wrote:
> >
> > A A A wrote:
> >
> >>I got a database on Solaris 10 that is still 8.1.5. I need to upgrade
> >>to 10g. Since there is no direct way from 8.1.5 to 10g, I had to
> >>upgrade from 8.1.5 to 9.0.2 and then migrate to 10g from 9.0.2.
> >>
> >>I downloaded 9.0.2 from Oracle and runs the installer with auto
> >>migration. The database is under 40GB, and it has been 4 days and
> >>it is still migrating. Worse yet, the progress screen got blanked --
> >>meaning I can't see how much of the progress it has got so far.
> >>However, the progress:
> >>
> >>oracle 26089 1 2 Jun 02 pts/4 212:19
> >>/tmp/OraInstall/jre/bin/../bin/sparc/native_threads/jre
> >>-Doracle.installer.libr
> >>
> >>is still going (the running time (212.19) is increasing and updated
> >>every few seconds.
> >>

> >>Do I have a problem? Is there a way to speed up this process? I have
> >>to migrate from 9.0.2 -> 10g once above 8.1.5->9.0.2 migration finishes.
> >>
> >>Thanks for help.
> >

> > For some reason I don't expect this migration to ever finish. You've
> > waited FOUR DAYS for this to complete?? I'd have been suspicious after
> > four hours with no reasonable end time in sight.
> >
> > Thoughts which come to mind:
> >
> > 1) I can't understand why you're running 8.1.5.x (where x is yet
> > unspecified by you) on Solaris 10. It isn't a certified installation.
> >
> > 2) I can only presume you intended to type 9.2.0, as 9.0.2 doesn't
> > exist and 9.0.1 is not certified on Solaris 10.
> >
> > As 8.1.5 on Solaris 10 is not a certified combination I can understand
> > why you're having the problems you report. You may need to move your
> > 8.1.5 instance to a different Solaris release (7, 8, or 2.6) to get it
> > to operate properly. Then migrate to 9.2.0 and clone the database to
> > your Solaris 10 server. At that point you could migrate to 10g on a
> > supported, certified O/S release. Unless this is so far gone you've
> > lost your original 8.1.5 database. You do not mention backing up the
> > database files prior to starting this migration, so one wonders if
> > you've lost everything from this migration attempt.
> >
> > Post more information, such as the patch level of your 8.1.5 database
> > and whether or not you've performed a cold backup of your database
> > prior to migration. Without such information it is almost impossible
> > to assist you further.
> >

> > David Fitzjarrell
> >

> Thanks to David and Dominica.
>
> It should be 9.0.1 instead of 9.0.2. Sorry.
> The old version:
> Oracle8i Enterprise Edition Release 8.1.5.0.0 - Production
>
> This is a database for research data, and has not been updated for quite
> a while. It is currently on an old Solaris 8 box. I just copied all the
> files and to the new Sun Blade box with Solaris 10. I created the
> symbolic links in the new box that mimic the old machine structures.
> For example:
> /usr/local/oracle -> /nfsdisk1/db/oldmachine/usr/local/oracle

> [...]

You've lost me. You've copied the files to the new Solaris 10 server? WHICH files did you copy? And why did you establish symbolic links to the Solaris 8 server? Are you actually trying to UPGRADE the software on the Solaris 10 machine? Did you copy the entire installation from the Solaris 8 machine to the Solaris 10 box? If you're attempting to migrate 8.1.5 to 9.2.0 you NEED to access the executables to get this accomplished.

Clarify your situation, as this is too confusing to be of any use.

David Fitzjarrell Received on Mon Jun 06 2005 - 16:21:02 CDT