Re: High Performance Server Side Programming - Which Language

From: Connor McDonald <connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 06 Jun 2005 16:59:56 +0800

nicholas.wakefield_at_gmail.com wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a static list of 100,000 values in an array, given a string I
> generate a hashcode and return an item from this array. I could join to
> another table but everything has to be done in a function.
>
> e.g select myFunc(field1) from myTable;
>
> Any ideas what Oracle approach (language) would be best for this? So
> far I've tried done the following.
>
> PL/SQL Table or Varray instantiated within a package (Natively compiled
> and interpreted)
> 4 seconds to translate 160k records.
>
> Java static constants across multiple classes (constant pool size limit
> would be reached with a single class)
> 33 seconds to translate 160k records
>
> and calling lower() instead of my function takes 1 second to pass 160k
> records, if i put lower in my package it also takes 3-4 seconds.
>
> So any ideas, e.g. if I write the function in C and link it, would that
> work well.
>
> Thanks in advance.

9.2 and above, your strings *can* be the index into a plsql table if that helps.

hth
connor

--
Connor McDonald
Co-author: "Mastering Oracle PL/SQL - Practical Solutions"

web: http://www.oracledba.co.uk
web: http://www.oaktable.net
email: connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com

"Semper in excremento, sole profundum qui variat."