Problem building 10g RAC with firewire

From: <diane_petersen_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 5 Jun 2005 16:50:55 -0700

Hello

I'm attempting an Oracle RAC w/firewire installation and can't get past the non-exclusive access to the external drive. Does anyone have a configuration working with RHEL4 or Fedora Core 3? I followed all of Jeffrey Hunter's instructions to "Build Your Own Oracle RAC 10G Cluster on Linux and Firewire". I even tried the White Box WBEL 2.4 kernel version first but didn't have any luck with it either...

I'm using the following configuration to build a 2-node cluster: 2 pcs each AMD 1.6ghz Semprons w/1GB RAM, 2-NIC's, 1-ieee1394 VIA controller
HDD: Maxtor One Touch 200GB w/Firewire (2-6pin ieee1394 connectors in the back)
Fedora Core 3 - 2.6.9-5.0.3.EL.orafw1 kernel patched from: http://oss.oracle.com/projects/firewire/files/RedHat/RHEL4/ website to allow simultaneous access.

My disk is only detected by one node at a time. Since FC-3 no longer has a /etc/modules.conf file, I added the following to
/etc/modprobe.conf:

options sbp2 exclusive_login=0

-didn't make any difference

Here's the output on node 2 from dmesg | grep sbp2 ieee1394: sbp2: Maximum concurrent logins supported: 3 ieee1394: sbp2: Number of active logins: 1 ieee1394 sbp2: Error logging into SBP-2 device - login failed sbp2: probe of 0010b9f700afca21-1 failed with error -16

Node 1 has access to the external drive: [root_at_red ~]# fdisk -l /dev/sda
Disk /dev/sda: 203.9 GB, 203927060480 bytes 255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 24792 cylinders Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

/dev/sda1 1 37 297171 83 Linux
/dev/sda2 38 6117 48837600 83 Linux
/dev/sda3 6118 12197 48837600 83 Linux
/dev/sda4 12198 18277 48837600 83 Linux

-more accurately, whichever node boots first or remains active last, has exclusive access to the drive. What am I missing? I was under the impression the Maxtor One Touch drives allowed simultaneous sharing, is that not true? I'll be happy to provide more information about my configuration, just not sure what else is relevant...

Please help!
Thanks
Diane Received on Sun Jun 05 2005 - 18:50:55 CDT