Re: Oracle 9i VPD Predicate Function

From: HansF <News.Hans_at_telus.net>
Date: Sat, 04 Jun 2005 04:02:06 GMT

I can think of no reason for two hits on one policy, unless you are performing two separate actions and have asked for the policy to be invoked for each action. For example - are you updating and then querying the table? Or is something invoking the table through a trigger?

Try adding a trigger to the table to insert into a [different] log for each action. See if you can match the insert from the policy with the trigger log.

Try restricting your policy to one operation only (SELECT, UPDATE, etc.) and see if that narrows the hit.

BTW - your policy should *normally* not have an insert or an update to a log table. I assume you are doing that for testing only. The purpose of the policy is to provide a rewrite predicate, not to do an audit (use auditing for that!). As it is, you have the potential for dramatically slowing the policy driven table.

--
Hans Forbrich
mailto: Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com