Re: Oracle and Dotnet

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Fri, 03 Jun 2005 12:36:59 -0700

Larry wrote:
> DA Morgan wrote:
>

>> Well yes .NET is part of the problem. As you discovered not the entire
>> problem ... but .NET is not the tool of choice with Oracle for the
>> simple reason that Microsoft sees Oracle as a competitor.

> Sure they're competitors. But Oracle knows they are the market leader
> in DB and they also know that there are a LOT of dotnet programmers that
> need to interface with their server. They most certainly want to put
> out the best product they can so that dotnet programmers can get the
> most out of their product.
>
> And thats why it didn't sound right when our DBA's blamed dotnet. Oracle
> corp will do whatever it can to make its product work well with dotnet.
> And they have.
>
> Here is an entire Oracle site dedidcated to dotnet programmers.
> http://www.oracle.com/technology/tech/dotnet/index.html
>
> Anyway, one big hurdle out of the way. Now it's time to move on to the
> next one.
>
> Larry

Oracle knows there are a lot of .NET programmers. Oracle does a good job of creating compatibility with ODBC, .NET, etc.

The issue is more what Microsoft chooses to do. Look at their latest SQL Server 2005 promo pieces for a taste of their attitude. They are comparing a product that does not yet exist with a previous version of Oracle on completely different hardware and then claiming superior performance.

ROFLOL.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
http://www.psoug.org