Library Cache namespaces

From: <RogBaker_at_gmail.com>
Date: 3 Jun 2005 10:30:06 -0700

Oracle 8.1.7.4
I am confused by the different namespaces in the Library Cache. I did a statspack report, and this is what I see:

Library Cache Activity for DB: FSQT Instance: fsqt Snaps: 3 -4
->"Pct Misses" should be very low

                 Get        Pin                  Inva-
                 Requ Pct   Requ     Pct  Re     lidat
Namespace        sts  Miss  ests     Miss loads  ions
--------------- ----- ----  -----   ----- ------ -----
BODY             4    0.0       4    0.0   0        0
CLUSTER          0    0         0          0	    0
INDEX            0    0         0          0	    0
OBJECT           0    0         0          0	    0
PIPE             0    0         0          0	    0
SQL AREA         110  0.0  69,672    0.0   0        0
TABLE/PROCEDURE  182  17.0    237   53.6   0        0
TRIGGER          0              0          0        0

As I understand it, the Library Cache is used to hold parsed SQL statements so that they can be reused without hard parsing to reduce CPU. I am concerned about the 17% and the 53.6% for the TABLE/PROCEDURE. I am not sure what this means. If you do a SELECT ENPNAME, DEPT FROM EMPLOYEEDATA WHERE EMPID=567, does this go into the SQL AREA or the TABLE/PROCEDURE AREA? The docs I have been reading only seem to list the namespaces and do not provide any further details or information. Does it look like we need a bigger library cache/shared pool? I believe we are using bind variables for the most part.

Thanks, Received on Fri Jun 03 2005 - 12:30:06 CDT