Re: Oracle and Dotnet

From: <xhoster_at_gmail.com>
Date: 03 Jun 2005 15:56:56 GMT

Larry <larry_at_larry.com> wrote:
> Holger Baer wrote:
>
> > You suffer the same problem that many developers suffer. You start out
> > with a small benchmark, and instead of trying to learn something out of
> >it (namely how to use Oracle correctly in the first place) you're
> > prepared to blame anybody else.
>
> I don't necessarily agree that I was "blaming" anybody.
>
> Was I puzzled that the per second insert rate was at 40. Yes.
>
> Was I disappointed that our companys contractors simply said that
> "dotnet" was the problem? Yes.
>
> Anyway, my not knowing that Dotnet was autocommitting was the core
> problem. By changing the code to use a transaction, my insert rate went
> from 40 per second to 1250 per second.

I would guess that the back and forth between the client and the server is the limiting factor at this point.

> That's still not quite the 7000
> per second I get in MySQL using Dotnet,

If you can use MySQL, then use it. If you can't use MySQL, then it doesn't matter how fast it is.

> or the 10,000 per second I get
> in Oracle when using SQLplus.

SQLplus is not doing the looping. It is merely submitting an anonymous pl/sql block to the database, and the looping is occuring on the server and not the client. That is why it is fast, there is no net traffic for each individual row. You could have submitted that pl/sql block from .net rather than from SQLplus (or at least I think you could have, I've never actually done it) and get the same results.

Does .net support array binds?

Xho

Usenet Newsgroup Service                        $9.95/Month 30GB