Re: Read only transaction problem

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Fri, 03 Jun 2005 07:40:57 -0700

cookie monster wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Using Oracle 9iR2
>
> I have this problem whereby I want to read from 10 tables that have FK
> and the data is always changing. Therefore I use the option SET
> TRANSACTION READ ONLY. Works fine. But now I want to read these 10
> tables and create NEW tables with consistent data (using pl/sql). The
> problem is I can't perform any insert of new data because I get an
> error that the transaction is read only.
>
> Is there any way around this problem? I just want to create a copy of
> these 10 tables with consisitent data. Any ideas??
>
> thx.

Explain why you need SET TRANSACTION READ ONLY again. What does that have to do with data changing? You have made YOUR transaction read only. That does not affect any other transaction anywhere on the planet.

I would suggest you examine Oracle's transaction model specifically as it relates to multiversion read consistency and system change numbers (SCN).

The only thing you have done is tie your own hands.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
http://www.psoug.org