Re: Read only transaction problem

From: IANAL_VISTA <IANAL_Vista_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 03 Jun 2005 14:38:32 GMT

cookie monster <nospam_at_nowhere.com> wrote in news:l5i0a1ladba0ocqabi4crieiev1266k4s8_at_4ax.com:

> Hi,
>
> Using Oracle 9iR2
>
> I have this problem whereby I want to read from 10 tables that have FK
> and the data is always changing. Therefore I use the option SET
> TRANSACTION READ ONLY. Works fine. But now I want to read these 10
> tables and create NEW tables with consistent data (using pl/sql). The
> problem is I can't perform any insert of new data because I get an
> error that the transaction is read only.
>
> Is there any way around this problem? I just want to create a copy of
> these 10 tables with consisitent data. Any ideas??

Oracle ALWAYS guarentees a read consistent view of the data!

RTFM - Data Concurrency and Consistency Overview

http://downloadwest.
oracle.com/docs/cd/B10501_01/server.920/a96524/c01_02intro.htm#44609

Read Consistency

Read consistency, as supported by Oracle, does the following:

The simplest way to think of Oracle's implementation of read consistency is to imagine each user operating a private copy of the database, hence the multiversion consistency model. Received on Fri Jun 03 2005 - 09:38:32 CDT