Re: Oracle index rebuilding performance

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Thu, 02 Jun 2005 16:33:38 -0700

DA Morgan wrote:

> There is no question you have a problem with your application. Rather
> than treating it with duct tape and paper clips why not identify the
> underlying cause and fix it?

As follow up to the other posts in this thread that were not here when I originally responded.

Lack of current statistics for the optimizer is near-fatal. Create the statistics with dbms_stats.
Go to http://www.psoug.org
click on Morgan's Library
click on DBMS_STATS

look at dbms_stats.gather_schema_stats.

The pain of moving to a supported version of Oracle will always be less than the pain of staying where you are. Especially when you consider that a resume that isn't at least at 9i will get you a job ... unfortunately that job may be flipping burgers.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
http://www.psoug.org