Re: Oracle and Dotnet

From: Larry <larry_at_larry.com>
Date: Thu, 02 Jun 2005 21:24:17 GMT

Sybrand Bakker wrote:

> Ahh but then of course you are expecting people here are clairvoyant
> aren't you?

No.

> You provide very little or actually no non-trivial
> information, apart from 'it doesn't work',

I never said 'it doesn't work'.
I simply gave you the insert rate per second.

> and you expect us to shoot
> in the dark, or the provide a complete free of charge advice as to
> what to do.

No, I fully expect that people who frequent these boards are here to make extra cash on the side.

> You might very well being handicapped by improperly sized online
> redolog files, your program might commit every individual insert, you
> might parse every individual statement every time ... Which is all
> killing performance! Who are members of this group to decide what is
> going on? If you post a generic request, be prepared to receive
> generic responses, and don't try to blame anyone for doing so!

I might be doing all that, or I might not. I didn't ask for a code evaluation.
I didn't ask to have my problem solved.

I said that the DBA's that installed Oracle blamed ODP.NET for the poor performance. But, if you go back to the original question, it was simply...

I need an opinion on the following....

SHOULD I EXPECT HIGH PERFORMANCE FROM ODP.NET?????????????

I was hoping to hear experienced Oracle DBA's say either

  1. "Yes, you can get great performce out of ODP.NET" or
  2. "No, ODP.NET has proven to be a dog. Don't bother with it."

That's all I wanted. Then I could go back to our DBA's and tell them what other DBA's are saying. It's just too convenient for them to blame ODP.NET. I'm looking for ammunition.

Now please, post your bank account number on your next posting so I can deposit 2 cents into your account. You obviously feel offended at the thought of giving "free" advice, so I wanted to pay you what you are worth!

Larry Received on Thu Jun 02 2005 - 16:24:17 CDT