Re: High Performance Server Side Programming - Which Language

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Thu, 02 Jun 2005 21:34:00 +0200

On 2 Jun 2005 12:06:27 -0700, nicholas.wakefield_at_gmail.com wrote:

>I have a static list of 100,000 values in an array, given a string I
>generate a hashcode and return an item from this array. I could join to
>another table but everything has to be done in a function.

Why? issuing select in an 'embedded' function (also an implicit join) usually precludes efficient execution paths and necessarily results in abysmal performance. Also your C idea will result in an *external* function, with additional overhead (communicating with the listener)

--
Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA