Re: Database market share 2004

From: Neil Truby <neil.truby_at_ardenta.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2005 20:10:11 +0100

"Paul" <paulsnewsgroups_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:68bu91d149m6oc9gsdrl07h363ies7muhn_at_4ax.com...

> "Neil Truby" <neil.truby_at_ardenta.com> wrote:
>

>>There is a very widespread perception that open-source operating systems -
>>RedHat for example - do not provide adequate support either. We have
>>encountered many risk-adverse users who would rather stick with Sun, HP or
>>IBM because of the absence of demarcation disputes between the OS and
>>hardware support vendors.
>

> Given that computers are becoming more and more of a commodity, that
> begs the question of why Red Hat doesn't supply PC's (for example) and
> guarantee both the hardware and s/ware. I believe that one can
> purchase Dell machines with Red Hat preinstalled - I would imagine
> that getting support for this config would not be difficult?

What a great example! I have a customer in Newcastle (under Lyme, not upon Tyne) who is running OnLine on RedHat on Dell. Needless to say the Online performs perfectly, but the box sporaically and spontaneously reboots. RedHat say its a problem with the hardwre and they should upgrade the firmware. Dell say it's a problem with the OS and they should patch it. The customer wishes he'd bought IBM, or Sun, or HP ....

The point is you can buy support for it, but that doesn't avoid inter-supplier finger-pointing ... Received on Thu Jun 02 2005 - 14:10:11 CDT