Re: Database market share 2004

From: Neil Truby <neil.truby_at_ardenta.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2005 16:42:08 +0100

"Jurgen Haan" <jurgen_at_fake.dom> wrote in message news:429f0643$0$17153$e4fe514c_at_news.xs4all.nl...
> Stu Charlton wrote:
>>
>> So the question is whether OSS eventually sucks the direct revenue out
>> of the market. If there are enough vested interests to fund that sort
>> of effort, sure, it could happen. Apache is a great example of that
>> effect. I think the next area probably will be operating systems.
>> Databases will take longer, if ever.
>>

> I think databases will happen sooner than you think.
> Hardware is getting cheaper while getting faster,
> storage is getting cheaper while getting faster
> OSS Databases are getting faster and more stable while still being free.
> The one point missing in OSS databases is support.
> It's so damn hard to get any support on OSS databases.
>
> That's why many companies still go for the mainstream databases,
> for the false sense of safety (I pay for it so it must be good) and for
> the support (which I still think is one of the most important issues).

There is a very widespread perception that open-source operating systems - RedHat for example - do not provide adequate support either. We have encountered many risk-adverse users who would rather stick with Sun, HP or IBM because of the absence of demarcation disputes between the OS and hardware support vendors. Received on Thu Jun 02 2005 - 10:42:08 CDT