Re: rman 06089

From: Holger Baer <holger.baer_at_science-computing.de>
Date: Thu, 02 Jun 2005 17:45:10 +0200

hosea.basis_at_gmail.com wrote:
> We are not using RMAN for any backup/recovery purposes. However, now we
> are using veritas SAN backup at the moment for trial. Below is part of
> the script used by veritas for the backup.
>

> d:\oracle\ora81\bin\rman.exe
> connection info: taret 'sys/****' nocatalog
>

> This is the error that i got.
>
> rman-06089 archived log d:\oracle\oradata\464.arc not found or out of
> sync with catalog
>
> This database has been running for months so naturally 464.arc is no
> longer existing. However, the script from veritas stated nocatalog, and
> i am puzzled by the missing log archive. Does veritas read this from
> the control file?
>

> I searched the net and found the below
> http://www.cryer.co.uk/brian/oracle/RMAN06089.htm

You're better off searching Oracle's own documentation:

http://tahiti.oracle.com

Choose a matching version of the documentation and go to the list of books, there is the recovery manager reference and users guide.

> I wanted to go for "reset database" in rman but has absolutely no
> confidence in rman, therefore i hesitated. Lastly, i am not familar
> with the second option abt resetting the logs.

I wouldn't be very confident in anything that you grab from the net *and* that is for a different version of Oracle. With rman you have to take great care wich version you are using, the concepts (or more, their implementation) have much changed from 8 to 8i to 9i.

Doing an open resetlogs is a bit overkill: If it ain't damaged, don't repair it. After all, you just want to get rid of the information in the controlfile.

> windows oracle <-> veritas net backup
>
> so there is nothing wrong with my windows oracle. Will the below work?
>
> c:\ rman target /
>
> rman> crosscheck backup;
> rman> delete obsolete;
> rman> delete expired;
>

> i replace the $ with the c:\ and i am fine?

What $?

However, the documentation only talks about crosschecking backups/backupsets and not about archivelogs (but backuped archivelogs), so I wouldn't be too confident that you are fine. Besides, the examples (in the documentation) talk about a maintainance channel that has to be allocated first, so check out the docs.

Doing a full backup first might help with delete obsolete to clean up those missing archived logs, but my experience with 8i rman is admittedly small.

Oh, I just noticed that about 4 weeks ago almost the same question was posted, so you might want to look at this too (will possibly wrap):

http://groups.google.de/group/comp.databases.oracle.server/browse_frm/thread/15c6cbb895844718/26e9a0c221da1bad?q=rman-06089&rnum=5&hl=de#26e9a0c221da1bad

HTH
Holger Received on Thu Jun 02 2005 - 10:45:10 CDT