Re: Database market share 2004

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Thu, 02 Jun 2005 06:43:44 -0700

Jurgen Haan wrote:

> The one point missing in OSS databases is support.
> It's so damn hard to get any support on OSS databases.
>
> That's why many companies still go for the mainstream databases,
> for the false sense of safety (I pay for it so it must be good) and for
> the support (which I still think is one of the most important issues).
>
> -R-

There is another important reason too: Instrumentation. If they are slow diagnosing why is a question of making guesses. That may be a reasonable approach when supporting a small non-commercial web site. It is a non-starter when talking terabytes and a requirement for 7x24. And then there's that little problem with government requirements around audits. They just aren't ready for prime-time.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
http://www.psoug.org