Oracle index rebuilding performance

From: <ryanbreakspear_at_norubbishgmail.com>
Date: 2 Jun 2005 01:58:02 -0700

Hi all,

I have a live database, which basically slows down as it's used. The current solution is to issue an ALTER TABLE tablename MOVE TABLESPACE spacename, then ALTER INDEX indexname REBUILD.

This is run every day on about half a dozen of the main tables. The strange thing is that this doesn't always work (it succeeds about 3 in 4 times). When it does work the main select statements which are run by the front end are 10-20 times faster so it is very obvious. I also find it strange that this needs to be run at all, because there aren't many insert/deleted in these main tables.

I've heard that version 8.1.7.0 is "a bit dodgy", is it worth trying to upgrade? I know my questions are extremely vague, but it seems very odd that this has any impact at all when it's run so often. I come from a SQL Server background and know very little about Oracle, any help on the subject would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Ryan Received on Thu Jun 02 2005 - 03:58:02 CDT