Re: Oracle 8 drive configuration

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Wed, 01 Jun 2005 14:30:41 -0700

Joe wrote:
> I am just in the process of purchasing a new server for our Oracle 8
> database. Our current server uses RAID 5. I want to move away from RAID
> 5 for performance reasons. Does anyone have any configuration
> suggestions for 10 72gb 15k rpm scsi drives not using RAID 5.
>
> Thanks in advance

Replace your storage with an Apple XServe RAID and you can get 5.6TB for under $13K US and still use RAID5 without performance degredation. The Apple array is fully compatible with Linux and other major operating systems. Think different. ;-) There is nothing wrong with RAID5 ... just your current disk configuration.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
http://www.psoug.org